You may have heard of sleepovers where children draw on their friend’s face — usually, it’s the first one to fall asleep.
Or they may stand behind a door and scare someone leaving the bathroom.
It’s not unusual for children and teens to prank one another but sometimes they take things way too far. So far, in fact, that it can put a child’s life in danger.
A trend that has become popular lately is the “hot water challenge”.
It may not sound dangerous, but an 8-year-old girl named Ki’ari Pope died after being challenged by her cousins to drink boiling water through a straw, reports CBS News.
But Ki’ari is not the only one to be hurt by hot water and peer pressure.
While he was sleeping
15-year-old Nickolas Conrad recently stayed at a friend’s house, along with six other friends.
In the middle of the night, an intense pain on his neck and throat woke him up.
At first, the teenager wasn’t sure what had happened. All he knew was that he was experiencing a horrific amount of pain.
“It was the worst pain I’ve felt in my life,” Nickolas told Fox News.
He had to go straight to the hospital for emergency treatment.
It turns out that the other boys had poured boiling water on their friend. They claimed they did not know how hot the water was.
This “prank” caused first and second-degree burns on Nickolas’ throat.
“They are not my friends anymore and will not be in the future either,” says Nickolas.
Of course, the boy’s mother, Mickey, was extremely upset about what happened.
“I first thought it was an accident, but when I discovered that it was intentional, I became so pissed off,” Mickey told Fox New, adding:
“Never say; ‘My child would never do that’. And remember to educate them.”
According to Fox News, no one has pressed charges and the adults who were at home at the time were asleep during the incident. They had no idea what was going on.
Watch a news story about this terrible “prank”: